- Insomnia and available treatments March 28, 2017 Posted in: Health, Lifestyle
Symptoms of Insomnia
Insomnia is a fairly common issue for many. To treat insomnia, you must know what triggers it. Sometimes it’s lifestyle choices, your diet, possibly a mental illness, or an unknown underlying cause. Everyone has experienced sleepless nights at some point in their life. It can become a real problem if you experience this most nights, however. Insomnia typically causes one to have extreme difficulty falling asleep, staying asleep, or both. Many find that even on those nights they can actually fall sleep, they wake up in the middle of the night for no apparent reason and cannot fall back asleep regardless of how exhausted they feel.
How Should Insomnia Be Treated?
Insomnia can be treated in many ways. Though many immediately think of prescription medication, most physicians agree it’s best to try other natural alternatives first. For example, if you have made a habit of watching TV or using your phone, you need to stop immediately. The artificial light makes it difficult for your brain to determine whether or not it should begin the first stage of sleep process which is the release of melatonin. You should consider how active you are as well. Those who have sedentary careers and lifestyles often don’t tire themselves out which results in excess energy. The more tired you are, the harder you will sleep. Another thing to consider is your diet. It’s best to avoid caffeine and high sugar foods as they can increase energy at an exaggerated rate.
What Causes Insomnia?
There are some causes that can be a bit harder to treat. If you find that you feel stressed out or anxious, it may be time to take a look at what issues can be eliminated or at least alleviate to some degree. Sometimes an underlying mental illness could be the cause of insomnia. If you feel or suspect you may be having symptoms of an anxiety disorder, depression, or the alike you can request an assessment from your physician to help determine if it’s a contributing factor.
Prescription and OTC Medications for Insomnia
Certain prescription medications such as Lunesta or Ativan is needed in some cases where all else fails. However, most find that it works best to change some lifestyle choices in order to better supplement the medication. For some, an over the counter sleep medication may help or alternative medicine such as CBD drops. There are natural sleep aids such as melatonin that can help you fall asleep within 20 minutes to an hour depending on the type of melatonin you choose. It’s always best to discuss all of your symptoms and concerns with a doctor to help determine what may be causing insomnia. Even with over the counter supplements, you should ask your pharmacist or doctor if it’s appropriate to mix one medication with another as some could have unwanted side effects.
- The Kayla Itsines Bikini Body Guide Really Works June 21, 2017 Posted in: Featured, Fitness
If you’re anything like me, summer is when you really start to get down to business and work on toning up your body for that bikini-perfect look. A lot of women struggle with slimming down problem areas like the lower belly and the arms, two places where fat really likes to hang out! There are a lot of YouTube videos and fitness classes you can take to get that sexy beach body, but if you really want results, I’d suggest trying the Kayla Itsines Bikiny Body Guide.
Who Is Kayla Itsines?
Kayla is an Australian personal trainer who has been helping women achieve knockout bodies since 2008. She’s been featured in Cosmopolitan and PopSugar. Her approachable personality and serious results have garnered her 7 million Instagram followers and counting. The before and after pictures are truly inspiring: one woman said that she’s lost 50 pounds in just four months of following the BBG fitness regimen.
These toned and tightened pictures say a lot about Kayla’s enthusiasm for fitness, but believe it or not, but there was a time when she was scared of the gym. She told Body+Soul, an Australian fitness website, that when she first started going to the gym, she was so overwhelmed that she found herself in tears.
Kayla And Her Fitness Guides
Kayla began developing her fitness guides as a result of her own experience of being intimidated at the gym. They provide women with the fitness steps they need so that they feel empowered, not scared, the next time they hit the gym. Kayla is also the co-creator of the SWEAT app, which includes music and machine cues so women can walk into the gym and know exactly where to start. She told Body+Soul that that’s comforting for a lot of women to have.
I don’t know if you’ve ever felt this way, but the last time I went to the gym I had no idea what moves to do or which machine to start with. The buff guys grunting and lifting 50, even 100-pound barbells certainly didn’t help my outlook!
The Bikini Body Guide includes a guide for weeks 1-12 and 12-24. Every page has effective cardio moves for pulling in your waistline, lifting your butt, and targeting problem areas.
There are also several bundles that you can try: you can get the full 24-week fitness plan and a vegetarian or normal diet guide. In addition to working out, it’s so important to eat clean, but a lot of people – myself included! – often forget to do that: we don’t drink enough water and forget to include veggies or fruit with a meal, and we say we’re going to workout “later.” Many of the women who tag themselves as a success story with Kayla Itsines BBG Workout say that when they first started, they were really tired and lacked motivation, but with the right nudges and a few simple diet tweaks, they were on the path to success.
- Is Wine Good for You? October 29, 2016 Posted in: Featured, Health, Lifestyle
A couple of researchers are convinced about how effective wine is in protecting yourself against a wide range of diseases like cancer, stroke, dementia, infertility, and much more.
Red and white wine are known to kill food bacteria that are responsible for various illnesses. They can likewise help improve brain function and enhance blood circulation. They increase good cholesterol in the body and dilate blood vessels.
Moreover, drinking a glass of red wine daily may also prevent neurodegenerative diseases such as dementia. Resveratrol, a compound found in grapes, stimulates a brain enzyme to aid in the regeneration of nerves.
- How You Should Exercise October 28, 2016 Posted in: Fitness, Lifestyle
Exercise is necessary as it can make you feel healthier and stronger. Before you go to the gym to start your workout, check out these tips:
1) Consult your doctor so you’ll know which exercises you’d need to avoid. This is especially necessary if you’re suffering from lung problems, heart diseases, arthritis, etc.
2) Wear comfortable clothes that are not going to restrict your movements.
3) Drink plenty of water before you start exercising. Water will let your muscles work effectively and likewise help you sweat more.
4) Do some warm up exercises before you start your intense exercises.
5) Try aerobic exercises first to enhance blood flow. These are often low-intensity exercises that last longer. Examples of aerobic exercises are climbing the stairs, jumping jacks, and swimming.
6) Perform some anaerobic exercises to help your body build more strength. Examples of anaerobic exercises are weightlifting, push-ups, and burpees.
7) Build your core muscles so you’ll get more defined abs, stronger back, and better posture.
8) Try some balance exercises such as T’ai chi and weight shifts to keep your mind and body more relaxed.
9) Perform flexibility exercises such as yoga, pilates, and stretches. These could help improve your body’s flexibility and balance.
10) If you don’t have the luxury to spend several minutes for various exercise routines, you may fit exercises in between your day-to-day activities. For example, you may do squats while cooking food or walk the stairs instead of using the elevator.
- What Diet Really Means October 27, 2016 Posted in: Food, Health
Diet refers to the food we eat everyday. It is important because it will determine your health and quality of life.
So what does a good diet look like?
A diet program should have a balanced source of fiber, protein, good fats, and complex carbohydrates. It should also be free from preservatives and be composed only of organic foods and ingredients.
Adequate protein helps build your muscle tissues, while sufficient carbohydrates provide the energy you need everyday. Fiber likewise helps promote regular bowel movement, while low fat lessens your risk of developing heart diseases.
If you’re not sure how to start your diet program, consult a doctor.
- Keeping Your Health on Check October 26, 2016 Posted in: Fitness, Health
Often, it’s important that we also listen to what our body is trying to tell us. By identifying and addressing some key signs, our chances of treating a serious disease is way higher. Here are some common early signs and symptoms we should never ignore:
Most cases of skin cancer are slow-growing, thus their chance of being treated is high when caught early.
Excessive, random nosebleeds
Nosebleeds often happen when the vessels in the nose crack. They often result due to allergies or aggressive nose-blowing. If they happen randomly, these may be a sign of a more serious health problem such as high-blood pressure and cancer.
Being tired easily
Busy people, who work for long hours, are very prone to fatigue. However, continuous fatigue may be a symptom of other underlying health conditions such as adrenal fatigue and cancer.
- Why Walking is Good for Your Health October 25, 2016 Posted in: Fitness, Health
Walking is a nice way to explore new places or to simply let time pass by. But do you also know that it offers a couple of health benefits? Here’s how:
1) Walking regularly can help reduce your risk of developing heart diseases.
2) Walking may also lower your risk of developing diseases such as diabetes and cancer.
3) A new study reveals that walking a minimum of six miles per week will help prevent shrinkage of the brain and will likewise preserve memory.
4) Aside from being able to enjoy the sight outdoors, you’re likely to get more Vitamin D if you spend more time walking.
5) Brisk walking also increases oxygen supply in the body and enhances blood circulation.
- Good Walking Shoes October 24, 2016 Posted in: Fitness
Having a good pair of walking shoes is necessary to keep you more comfortable and more motivated to walk. In order to get the best walking shoes available, it’s important that you understand the parts of the shoes and how they affect the way you walk
Some of the special features that need to be considered are:
- Design and Construction
- Shock Absorption
- Shoe Length and Width
- Shoe Arch
Here’s a Top 3 list of some of the best walking shoes for men:
- Asics Men’s GEL-Tech Walker Neo 4 Walking Shoe
- Skechers Sport Men’s Energy Afterburn Lace-Up Sneaker
- Rockport Men’s We are Rockin Chranson Walking Shoe
Here’s a Top 3 list of some of the best walking shoes for women:
- ASOLO Ember Low
- Mammut Redburn Low GTX Women
- Salomon X Ultra W