Cannabis is referred to as the products that are derived from the Cannabis Sativa plant. Many people use Cannabis and marijuana interchangeably; however, that is not the case. In actuality, Cannabis constitutes more than 500 compounds. One of these chemicals is CBD or Cannabidiol, which is considered to have many medicinal health benefits.
Another of these chemical compounds is THC or tetrahydrocannabinol. It is the psychoactive component found in the Cannabis Sativa plant and is responsible for intoxication. When consumed excessively, it tends to get you high and impair your thinking, coherence and cognitive function. Therefore, THC is the main reason for the impact of marijuana on a person’s mental state.
Contrary to the prevalent belief, most Cannabis has very little THC and does not cause intoxication when consumed. They are also referred to as hemp instead of marijuana and are used productively for various medicinal purposes to treat or manage multiple health conditions.
Due to the recent spark of interest in Cannabis, a lot of research is being done to uncover various remedial benefits that can be garnered through their use while avoiding the intoxicating impact of excessive THC. It is also why there has been an increased focus on drafting a legal framework to legalize the use and cultivation of Cannabis. CAnada already legalized it and you can get it from a licensed dispensary, e.g. online dispensary Canada.
Clinical evidence suggests that drugs containing Cannabis can be used to treat many medical conditions. We have summarized a few ways in which Cannabis can be helpful.
- Cannabis sativa is very helpful in treating chronic pain, particularly associated with neuropathy brought on by injury or damage to the nerves.
- Cannabis can be helpful for the treatment of arthritis as it can help with pain relief and bring down the inflammation in joints that is the main underlying cause for the pain. They can thus have an improved quality of life through the controlled use of Cannabis.
- Many people tend to rely on opioids for managing their pain. Medical marijuana can help them replace the illegal use of opioids when they acquire Cannabis containing medicine from registered sellers through proper prescriptions.
- People suffering from anxiety disorders can also benefit from Cannabis as it helps alleviate stress and anxiety. Medical marijuana was prescribed to war veterans suffering from PTSD in the US. Moreover, people suffering from anxiety brought on by social situations can help manage their conditions.
- Another health issue where the use of Cannabis has been found to be effective in inflammatory bowel diseases. For instance, patients suffering from Crohn’s disease can benefit from the use to treat their issues, including loss of appetite, diarrhea, abdominal pain, fever and weight loss.
- In addition, it is also beneficial for treating symptoms associated with irritable bowel syndromes, such as recurring episodes of pain and diarrhea.
- Cannabis can aid cancer patients during their chemotherapy journey by helping them manage nausea and vomiting, which is a side effect of chemotherapy. It can thus help them keep their symptoms at bay and improve the quality of their life.
- Studies have also found Cannabis to have a profound impact on the symptoms of multiple sclerosis by helping the patients manage their pain and spasticity. Cannabis has also been found to be effective for patients with epilepsy by managing epileptic seizures.
Monitored and controlled use of Cannabis can help improve the various health conditions as discussed above and improve their sleep and overall quality of life. Individuals have, however, been warned against the use of THC, which can cause drug-induced intoxication and impair cognitive functioning. If we take it out of the equation, Cannabis can provide profound remedial health benefits.
There’s also a great TED talk on the topic: